I thought I would share this trick publicly since I really pulled my hair to get it working. The idea is to get a Yamaha integrated amplifier (A-Sxxxx series, eg. A-S1100 or A-S3200) combined with an AVR to work in every cases while using Logitech Harmony.
We have two different Harmony activities already setup:
- TV/Movie – both amp and powered on
- Music – Only the integrated amp is turned on
At this point, we consider your setup to work when everything is off and you start one or the other. BUT, as long as you switch from one activity to the other, Harmony will likely put the integrated amp in standby. And the only option is to get to the amp back on is to use the Harmony power switch on the app, or use the original remote.
On top of this, Yamaha user manual says (page 6 on the A-S1200):
Do not turn on the power to this unit again within
10 seconds after the power has been turned off. Doing so may generate noise.
Not cool huh?
Here are the twelve steps (yeah – 12!!) to set it up in a way your integrated amp will stay ON unless you shutdown an activities.
- Launch the Harmony App on your phone/tablet
- Open the ≡ menu
- Select Harmony Setup
- Tap on Add/Edit Devices & Activities
- Select Devices
- Select your Yamaha integrated amp in the list
- Use Power Settings button
- In the page, you should see Turn off when not in use,
Change it to Keep device always ON
＞symbol to continue saving
- Select Using a single button
- One more time, click on ＞ symbol
- You should be all set and ready to try start a new activity, or switching from one to another where each is using the Yamaha A-S amplifier
Now you and the member of your household should be able to enjoy all situation:
- Cold start a new activity
- Switch from one to another
When turning off the activity, the Yamaha integrated should turn off.
- Yamaha A-S series (US website)
- Logitech Harmony